Saturday 2 February 2013

Similarities and Differences: Ely Cathedral


I took a visit to Ely Cathedral for my Art. It's a beautiful old building, with towering spires and intricate details, and if you ever get a chance to visit it, I would recommend it. However, what caught my eye were the windows. Beautiful stained glass windows.


I first did two stylised pencil studies of a section of one of the windows, one in colour and one tonally. I very much liked them indeed. The colour one also was a chance to experiment with tone and flat colour and seemed to be able to stand as a piece on its own.


I also did a coloured ink study of a section,but I wasn't best pleased with it. I hate the streaky and uneven colours that occur. However,it did capture the translucence and vibrancy of the glass in a way that other media wouldn't have.

Up next, my final piece!


No comments:

Post a Comment